SANDERS ADDISON CROWELL
Return to Family Index
THE STORY AS I KNOW IT
Much of the following information came from The Simon Crowell Family by Judith Jo Linenfelser. Documentation is added where it is known.
Sanders Addison Crowell was born March 4, 1825 in Mecklenburg County North Carolina. His parents were William Crowell and Ellen Smith. The family was in North Carolina in 1830 but by 1845 Sanders and probably his parents were in Caldwell County Kentucky. Benjamin Crowell, brother to William was an early resident of this county.
Sanders Addison Crowell married Sarah Jane Laughlin on
April 24, 1845 in Caldwell County. Benjamin
Crowell and Johnson Laughlin witnessed their
wedding, from Caldwell County Marriage Book 2, page 57
Sarah Jane and Sanders Addison. were the parents
of at least eight children:
1. Louisa Jane born 1846, wed James Kenaday 2/17/1865Caldwell county Marriage book 3, page 11
2. Sarah Eliza. born 1848, I believed she died before 1863, as they named another daughter Sarah Elizabeth then.
3. Ellender Elizabeth born Dec.27, 1852, wed S.K. McNeeley 5/14/1873Caldwell county Marriage book 11, page 141
4. Benjamin J. born Nov. 19, 1854 wed Nancy E. Dunn 2/23/1876 Caldwell county Marriage book 12, page 75
5. Robert Wylie born Oct.1856 wed Nancy Williamson 9/28/1876, Caldwell county Marriage book 12, page 118
6. Rachel Julia born Sept 11, 1858 maybe wed R. A. Dunn 8/24/1876, Caldwell county Marriage book 12, page 110 (listed as Julia A. Crowell)
7. Rosannabell born Oct 14, 1860 wed George Walter Blackburn and then 3 others after his death
8. Sarah E. born March 29, 1863 wed Marion L. Greathouse in Jackson Ct. IL
The 1850 Caldwell County Census lists the family
in the 2nd District as follows:
S.A. Crowell 25 farmer born NC
Sarah Jane 24 born KY
Louisa Jane 4 born KY
Sarah Elizabeth. 2 born KY
Elizabeth R. Laughlin 28 born KY (perhaps Sarah Jane's sister)
On May 19, 1859, Sanders A. Crowell had surveyed
140 acres on the elk fork of the Tradewater River.
Kentucky Land Grants 1872-1924, book 57.
Elk Creek runs along side Rt. 293. north east of the Crowell Cemetery. However, on a recent visit, we found streets and streams had had their name changed to reflect 20th century ownership. It is hard to tell where the original Elk branch ran. Interestingly, the surveyor of his grant was Johnson Laughlin, his father-in-law. Grant Book M or N, page 23,24
The 1860 Caldwell county Census lists the family
S. A. Crowell 33
Sarah Jane 33
Sarah Jane Laughlin Crowell died March 15, 1864
and is buried in the Crowell Cemetery. After her
death S.A. married Mrs. Martha
(Williamson) Dickson on May 2, 1864. Thomas
Williamson and Henderson Williamson
witnessed the wedding. Caldwell County Marriage book
6, page 147
Martha and S.A. Crowell had five known
children according to Judy Wakeman, Crowell Historian
1. William S. born May1865 in KY wed Sarah J Barnes 11/2/1886 Caldwell county Marriage Book 16, page 52
2. James born 1867 in KY
3. Thomas F. born 1869 in KY
4. Nellie M. born 1875 in KY wed W.T.Parker 8/31/1890, Caldwell county Marriage Book 17, page 168
5. Sophronia born 1878 in IL
The 1870 Caldwell County Census. has:
S.A. Crowell 44
Rosa 10 (her full name was Rosannabell)
William 5 they were really at least a year apart, and probably closer to 2
Martha and her baby Thomas F. must have been gone when the census taker came round. Sanders and Martha moved to Jackson County Illinois between 1875 and 1878. That county is on the Mississippi River about halfway between St. Louis and the southern tip of the state.
The 1880 Jackson, County Illinois Census, FHfilm
#1254215, page 140C show the family living in
Murphysboro,Jackson Ct. IL.
Sanders Addison Crowell, age 57, working in a cold mine.
Martha Crowell, age 49
William S., age 15, working on a farm
Thomas F., age 11
Nellie, age 5
William was the only one in the family that was
listed as able to read, None could write.
Sometime between 1880 and 1887 the family returned to
Caldwell County. Caldwell County Court Records 1887 –
1891 on film # 469451, page 173 states that S.
A. Crowell on Oct. 26, 1887 was released from
taxation for old age. He was 62 at the time. S.A.
died in 1890 and is also buried in the Crowell Cemetery.
It can be found off Nunnswitch Rd near Blackford
Church Rd between Tidewater and Shady Grove. The
Crowell cemetery is very difficult to get to. There
is no road. We were told to wear hip boots and plan
on a hike through corn fields. As it had been
raining a lot, we did not get there. I do not know
the source of the Crowell cemetery information. If
you do CONTACT
Martha Crowell was on the Caldwell County 1900 Census. Her death date is not known.
If you know the answer please CONTACT US
Return to Top of Page
Maier_Associates: © Copyright 2016
Date created: 7/17/2000
Date Edited 6/12/2016