SIMON & ELIZABETH CROWELL
Return to Family Index
THE STORY AS I KNOW IT
Most of the following information came from The Simon Crowell Family by Judith Jo Linenfelser. Documentation is added where it is known.
Simon Crowell was born in 1732
in Lancaster County Pennsylvania. His
tombsteon was read in 1931. both his birth year
and death year were on the stone and confirmed with
family bible records. His parents were Peter Crowell or or Graul
Craul and Catherine (Karena)
Denver. Both Peter and Catherine were
born in Hesse, now Germany and immigrated Nov. 25,
1740 into Pennsylvania. Simon was the
eldest son born to the Grauls in Germany.
from the surname file Lancaster County Historical
The family moved to North Carolina before
1762. Re Mecklenburg County Deeds, Peter and
Catharine Crowell sold 100 acres in Anson County
NC on Dec. 10, 1762. Peter’s will is filed in Mecklenburg
County NC in Oct 1763.
The Mecklenburg Ct. NC. Deed Abstracts
1763-1779, page 290-291 include a sale August 14,
1765 of 200 acres by Simon and Betty Crowell.
The land is noted as being on the Southwest side of the
Pee Dee River. So they were wed before that date,
bur my guess is not long before that date. My
question is when did the Crowell purchase
the properties they sold? Or did they inherit it from Peter?
Simon Crowell married Elizabeth last name unknown
about 1765 probably in Mecklenburg County. She was
born between 1745 - 1750. They had several children
1. Samuel Crowell born c1760, wed Margaret Sell, died 1829 in Mecklenburg NC, re Mceklenburg Administration Book 2, page 43,
2. Peter Crowell, born c 1765, wed Catron, died 1811 in Mecklenburg
3. John Crowell born c1772 wed Isabella McWilliam moved to Georgia
4. Charles Crowell born c 1774, moved to Tennessee > 1840 NC census was taken.
5. Benjamin Crowell born June 12, 1776 in Mecklenburg Ct. wed Elizabeth Moore. He was an early settler of Caldwell County, Kentucky. He died Dec. 13, 1853 Crittenden Ct. KY.\
6. George Crowell born 1778, wed Elizabeth Pryon
7. William Crowell born 1780 in Mecklenburg Ct wed Nellie Smith.
8. Sarah Crowell, born 1782 wed John Capley, re Mecklenburg Deed , Book 2, page 290
Because of the time breaks between the birth of Samuel and Peter, then Peter and John, I'm guessing there were some daughters born here that never got mentioned. Of course, it could have been sons that had died young.
Next to them on the Census was Charles Crowell
1 male < 10
1 male 26-44 (Charles)
2 females <10
1 female > 45
A Simon Crowell was on the 1820 census, but with a
young boy and no woman. I do not believe it was
According to Judith she died in 1828.
Simon Crowell died in 1837, a very old man, 106
years old. He was buried in Emanuel Cemetery, on
state Rod 1520, about 1 mile west of US 601 N
If you know the answer please CONTACT US
Return to Top of Page
Maier_Associates: © Copyright 2016
Date created: 12/21/2011
Date edited 8/1/2013
Date edited 1/6/2016
Date edited 6/25/2016