Return to family index
Anne Miller was born about 1730 in
Switzerland. Or so the story goes.
However, the story is so specific that I believe it.
I just can't find the proof. The Cecil County
Historical Society has a file and history on Barney McCauley, the emigrant of the large McCauley family in that county. Two versions of the story
1. Barney McCauley landed in New Castle Delaware, moved on to settle in Cecil County where he married Anne Miller from Switzerland, who had landed at New Castle about about the same time.
2. Barney McCauley and Anne Miller were on the same ship together, had a ship board romance, etc.
The story always includes that her parents both died on
the voyage to America but never gives their names.
And that she had a sister Barbara Miller and
2 brothers, John and Henry Miller who settled on
the Susquehanna River. Both sides are mentioned Havre
de Grace in Harford county and Perryville in Cecil.
Unfortunately, the names are so common that no
confirmation can I find. I do believe that the name
would have been Mueller in Switzerland. A
very common name there also.
Barney and Anne McCauley were said
to thave 8 children. from the Delaware Archives,
Bible Records Vol VI, C542.7, D238, page 30,31
1. John McCauley born about 1752 married Margaret Bradley
2. Daniel McCauley, born April 21, 1754 married Francina Baker
3. James McCauley married Elizabeth Campbell
4. Barney McCauley married Rachel Conrad and moved to Virginia
5. Henry McCauley died young
6. Mary McCauley married William Chesney
7. Susan McCauley married Edward Alexander
8. Ann McCauley married William Shields
Daniel McCauley was known to stay in the area
throughout his lifetime. He took the Oath of
allegiance on March 3rd, 1778 from The Cecil
county Signers of the Oath of Allegiance, by
Mollie Howard Ash. In 1827 a Daniel
McCauley received a patent for Deer Park. Land
Patents of Cecil county, page 17, Certificate #231
The 1790 Cecil county Census has the following McCauleys
- all white
Barney McCauley - Elks Neck 1 male over 16 and 2 females
John McCauley - s. Susquehannah hundred, 3 males over 16, 3 males under 16 and 2 females
Daniel McCauley - s. Susquehannah Hundred, 2 males over 16, 2 males under 16, 4 females
James McCauley - S. Susquehannah Hundred, 3 males over 16, 3 males under 16, 4 females.
I don't understand all the males over 16 in each
household. These were relatively young men. ie
Daniel had been married less than 10
years. If the Barney McCauley is our
Ann's husband, she may still have been alive at that
time. she would have been about 60 years old.
The Ancestor transcription of the 1790 Census said
they lived in East. Notthingham, but on the actual page,
East Notthingham is the first list of names and Elks Neck
after it. They were definitely under Elks Neck.
I don't know when either Ann Miller McCauley or Barney
MaCauley died or where they are buried.
If you know the answer please CONTACT US
1. Who were her parents?
2. Where did they marry?
3. Where did they live in Cecil County?
5. When did they die and where are they buried. .
Return to Top of Page
Maier_Associates: © Copyright 2014
Date created: 7/13/2013
Date updated 10/8/2013
Date updated 12/30/2014