Return to Family Index
THE STORY AS I KNOW IT
Elizabeth Clator was
born 11th month, 16th day 1653 in Elton, Nottingham
shire England. Her parents were William
and Alice Clator. Friends House Digest
Register, reel 19, film MR-L. They were
Quakers. William was fined and imprisoned for
his following of the Quaker religion. He was a farmer in
the small village of Elton on the eastern edge of
Nottingham shire. She was the eldest of two
Elizabeth Clator married
Levis 3/4/ 1680. I'm not sure
if this was translated to March or the earlier
Quaker dating, which would translate to May, I believe. Cope
Digest of English Meetings, C10 Warwickshire quarterly
Meeting. The Digest clearly stated that Samuel
Levis was from Harby. It is just a few
miles south of Elton. but crosses the line into
Elizabeth and Samuel Levis emigrated to
America with 2 young children:, from The Paper Makers
by Jane Levis Carter, page 1. Also with them were 2
of Samuel's sisters, and 3 friends. All were
Quakers of the Harby Meeting Leicester. He had
purchased 1000 acres in Pennsylvania before leaving.
When they arrived in Philadelphia they joined the
Meeting in that city. The family soon settled in
Chester County on a creek that flowed into the
Delaware River Samuel Levis property
was on the southwest side of Darby Creek in Springfield
Township in 1692., page 25 There he
built a house of brick that was lived in for 10
generations of Levis'. The still stands and is
called the Checkerboard House.
He served as county
commissioner, a member of the Pennsylvania Assembly,
justice of the peace and of the court. and he had a
mill. The Paper Makers has a diagram
of their property including the mill, an orchard and slave
Elizabeth and Samuel Levis
had a growing family during these years. They had 7
1. Samuel Levis, born about 1682 in England, possibly Nottingham he wed Hannah Stretch 1709.
2. Alice Levis, born about 1684 in England, possibly Nottingham.
3. Mary Levis born Aug 9, 1685 in Pennsylvania wed Joseph Pennock
4. William Levis born in Pennsylvania wed Elizabeth Reed 1720
5. Elizabeth Levis born in Pennsylvania wed William Shipley 1728
6. Sarah Levis born in Pennsylvania wed George Maris
7. Christopher Levis born 1692 in Pennsylvania died 1694.
It was noted somewhere,
need to relocate, that Elizabeth Clator Levis
became a Quaker missionary traveling up and down the east
coast. I also have her death occurring in 1732, but
do not have the source of that information.
Samuel Levis died in
1734. An advanced age for the time for both of them.
If you know the answer please CONTACT US
1. What was her mother's birth name?
2. Find all birth dates for their children.
3. Where is it noted that she was a Quaker missionary?
4. When did she die?
Return to Top of Page
Maier_Associates: © Copyright 2017
Date created: 12/6//2012
Date Edited 12/5/2014
Date Edited 9/21/2017