PENELOPE van PRINCIS
Return to Family Index
THE STORY AS I KNOW IT
There is a bio of Penelope van Princis on findagrave. All needs documentation, but for now I will repeat what is there and note where I can find documentation. http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=6082496
I also found a personal website by Reba Logue McMillan
that lists a number of reference sources for the story.
Check out her wonderful website
Penelope van Princis was born in 1622 in
Amsterdam, the Netherlands. She was the daughter of Baron
van Princis, mother unknown.
She married John Kent about 1640 and they left for New
York, then New Amsterdam. However, the ship ran
aground nearer to present day Monmouth County New Jersey.
All on the ship preceded as quickly as possible to Long Island, I
do not know how. but Penelope stayed with her ill husband.
Hostile Indians, killed her husband , partially scalped and
wounded Penelope. They left her to die. She
was found by friendly Indians and recovered and eventually was
joined with the established European settlement at Gravesend
There she married Richard Stout about 1642. They
had 10-12 children: (all are from Reba McMillan's website)
1. John Stout born about 1645
2. Richard Stout born march 10 1645/6
3. James Stout born 1648
4. Penelope Mary born in 1650
5. Mary Stout born about 1650 on Long Island. Her husband James Bowne was one of the men to negotiate with Popomora, chief of the Nevesink Indians for the Monmouth Patent. from The Bowne file at Monmouth County Historical Society.
6. Deliverance Alice born 1652
7. Alice born about 1652
8. Peter Stout born 1654
9. Sarah Elizabeth Stout born 1656
10. Jonathan Stout born 1660
11. David Stout born about 1667
12. Benjamin Stout born 1669.
I think it very likely that #4 & 5 are the same person as
could be #6 & 7.
The Stout and Bowne families were among the very
first to settle in Monmouth County, moving there about 1668.
The Stout family soon also moved to Middletown, NJ. where
they lived out their very long lives.
Penelope van Princis Kent Stout lived to 1732, 110
years of age. Her husband, Richard Stout died
in 1705 at the age of 95. It is not known where they are
If you know the answer please CONTACT US
1. What was her mother's name?
Return to Top of Page
Maier_Associates: © Copyright 2014
Date created: 2/16/2014