MARIA BARBARA KAUFMANN
Return to Family Index
THE STORY AS I KNOW IT.
Maria Barbara Kaufmann was born December 3, 1790 in Bissingen an der Tech, Wurttenberg Germany. Her parents were Johann Georg Kaufmann and Maria Barbara Holpp.
The families had lived in this small town for hundreds of
the area around Stuttgart, there are 3 towns that could
fit the name
"Bissingen". They are Bissingen, Bisingen, and Bissingen
an der Teck.
After a careful study of the 1930's document it was
determined to be
Bissingen an der Teck. This has now been confirmed.
We have the history of the village, in German and all the
names in the family occur over and over. This
village is south east of Stuttgart.
On June 17, 1812 Maria Barbara Kaufmann married Johann Friedrich Maier.
The LDS library has a microfilm of the church in Bissingen. All the information here comes from this document. Reading the old German scrip is a challenge. We can scan the piece so you can attempt to see it also. Just click under Contact Us with the request.
Johann Friedrich Maier and Maria Barbara
had twelve known children,
all born in Bissingen.
1. Johann Christian born Aug 4, 1813 and died in 3 weeks.
2. Johann Christian born Aug.1, 1814 and also died in 3 weeks.
3. Anna Catharina born Dec 11, 1815 married Johannes Golz.
4. Johann Christian born April 10, 1819 married Barbara Gienger.
5. Regina born Nov 8, 1821 and died in 2 weeks.
6. Regina born Oct 31 1822 and died in 3 weeks.
7. Barbara born July 17, 1824. She lived to 1909 but never married.
8. Cyriakus born Oct 2, 1827 and died within the month.
9. Rosina born Oct 15, 1828 and died within the month.
10. Johannes born Aug. 17, 1830 married Katharina Diehl.
11. Regina born May 12, 1834 and died in Sept of that same year.
12. Regina born Jan 6, 1836 married John Daniel Kurtz in Wilmington Delaware USA
What a sad record to write. Of 12 children, 7 died in
infancy. It is
possible that the couple had a medical problem that caused
infant deaths.It was also the time of the Napoleanic
wars. When the soldiers went through an area, they
took what they needed, leaving little behind.
Johann Friedrich Maier died Nov.8, 1862. It was his 83 birthday. His wife Maria Barbara Kaufmann Maier died just a few weeks later, on Dec. 29, 1862.
If you know the answer please CONTACT US
1. What could cause so many infant deaths
Return to Top of Page
Maier_Associates: © Copyright 2014
Date created: 7/30/2010
Date edited: 3/13/2014