JOHANN MICHAEL MAIER
Return to Family Index
THE STORY AS I KNOW IT
Johann Michael Maier was born Sept 4, 1720 in Bissingen, Wurttemberg, Germany. His parents were Johannes Maier and Anna Maria Goll. The Maiers were farmers in this community surrounded to this day by orchards.
A Maier Genealogy was written in the 1930's while a family member was living in Germany. All of this information came from that document. However, I also have a copy of the church records of Bissingen microfilmed by the LDS library. The handwriting is in old German and the spelling varies but the detail matches what had been discovered in the 1930s.
Johann Michael married Maria Ursula Kautter on Nov. 3, 1744 in Bissingen, Wurttemberg, Germany.
Maria Ursula and Johann Michael Maier had eight known children, all born in Bissingen.
1. Maria Barbara born Nov.29, 1745. She married Philipp Marklin.
2. Cyriakus born March 25 1747 and died August of that same year.
3. Johannes born Feb 27, 1748. He married Rosine Schempp.
4. Anna Dorothea born October 22, 1749 and died in 1763.
5. Anna Maria born Jan. 17, 1753 and died in 1755.
6. Cyriakus born Oct 10 1754 married a different Rosine Schempp.
7. Johann Friedrich born Dec 4, 1756 and died the next fall.
8. Johann Friedrich born Oct 13, 1759 married Sofia Barbara Bonz.
It would appear that the brothers Johannes and Cyriakus married the same woman. That is not the way the record reads. Perhaps the Rosines were cousins. More research here would help. There were a number of Schempps in the town.
Johann Michael died Jan 6, 1793. Maria Ursula died January 24, 1805.
In the area around Stuttgart, there are 3 towns that could fit the name "Bissingen". They are Bissingen, Bisingen, and Bissingen an der Teck. After a careful study of the 1930's document we believe it is the Bissingen an der Teck. Close by there is a Dettingen unter Teck. It is the home of other relatives. These villages are south east of Stuttgart.
If you know the answer please CONTACT US
1. Get details on the Rosine Schempp that married Johannes.
Return to Top of Page
Maier_Associates: © Copyright 2003
Date Last Edited: 9/8/2003